Our facility spans over 6000 square meters and houses our workshop (officina), warehouses, and offices, where we produce, test, and verify anchors, chains, accessories, deck equipment, and all materials for towing and mooring.
We also provide lifting services.
In Posidonia's workshops, highly skilled workers are employed, all of whom hold a welding certification issued by the Italian Welding Institute. All processes are qualified and documented with:
- WPS (Welding Procedure Specification), which provides information regarding welding parameters: the type and position of welding, the size and shape of the joint, the type and size of the base materials and filler materials, the protective gas, and various parameters (thermal inputs, number of passes, speed of advancement), as well as preheating/interpass temperatures to be observed.
- WPQR (Welding Procedure Qualification Report), which qualifies the company and/or the operator to produce joints using the qualified WPS for a range of materials and thicknesses.
At Posidonia, we can weld any type of steel, including stainless steel and other similar alloys. Our products and welds can withstand operating temperatures as low as -55°C.
The Posidonia horizontal and tilting test bench (which we call “pull test) is approved by IACS and can test loads up to 500 tons and up to nearly 30 meters. For further information, please visit our pull test service page.
We possess a fully compliant paint booth that enables us to meet any painting specification. We can also meticulously inspect and certify coating thicknesses based on our customers' requirements.
Due to the utmost importance of welding inspection and verification at Posidonia, we are qualified to perform non-destructive testing using the following methods:
- The method of liquid penetrant testing (PT) is essential for verifying and inspecting welds at Posidonia. The welding inspections using liquid penetrant testing are carried out according to the European standard UNI EN ISO 3452-1, while the acceptability criteria are contained in UNI EN ISO 23277. This testing is primarily based on the "penetration capacity" of certain liquids that enter into cracks or porosity and surface after. The penetrant contained in the discontinuities can thus be highlighted thanks to the absorbent detectors. These can be either color contrast (red penetrants) or fluorescent. This testing can be carried out on any type of material as long as it does not have excessive surface roughness.
- The magnetic particle testing (MT) method is used for welding inspections at Posidonia. The inspection is carried out according to the UNI EN ISO 17638 standard, while the acceptability criteria are included in the UNI EN ISO 23278. This method can only be used on ferromagnetic materials, and it will be impossible to inspect austenitic matrix materials such as stainless steels. The technique exploits a particular characteristic of ferrous alloys: ferromagnetism. This refers to the property of some materials, called ferromagnetic materials, to magnetize under the influence of an external magnetic field and remain magnetized for a long time when the field is removed, becoming magnets. Near a discontinuity, such as a microcrack, the flow lines of the magnetic field locally deviate and create an anomaly of the same field at the edges of the defect. If the defect appears on the surface, part of the flow lines will disperse beyond the surface. To highlight the defect, the surfaces are sprayed with appropriate suspensions of ferromagnetic powders, which are colored or fluorescent.
- Visual Testing (VT) services conducted by certified experts. The inspection is carried out in accordance with UNI EN ISO 17637 standard, and the acceptability criteria are defined in UNI EN ISO 5817. VT allows us to detect surface and/or dimensional features such as incorrect shapes and dimensions, misalignments, unevenness, slag, spatter, cracks, porosity, blowholes, and more.
- Brinell hardness tests
All of our products are marked with a unique and traceable serial number, which is an essential method for IACS certified products.
We own a band saw that can cut diameters up to 440 mm thick.
CNC for metal machining
We have 2 CNC milling machines in our company that can work with all materials including Duplex, stainless steel, and carbon steel. The table is 3X3 meters in size.
In addition to manual grinding, which allows us to perform even very fine processing, we have a Costa grinding machine for cleaning parts for all types of steel and tube grinders for rounding.
With a view to industry 4.0, we own a Cobot, a collaborative robot, consisting of a mechanical arm that works on 4 axes, applied to the latest generation welding.
Our company has a crane capable of lifting loads up to 25 tons, 3 forklifts, 1 forklift with a telescopic arm for accessing containers, Manitou, which lifts up to 4 tons, and 1 electric IOT.
Magnetic permeability check
We have available a self-propelled tool that enables the measurement of the magnetic permeability of certain stainless steels up to 2 µ. With over 80 years of experience in the naval sector, Posidonia has become well-known for its special equipment that needs to be installed on ships, such as minesweepers, minehunters, or drones. It is essential that all equipment is lightweight with low magnetic permeability while maintaining high performance.